Tuesday, January 8, 2013

9 Month Check-up

I took the boys to the doctor today for their 9 month check-up. They also were checking up on them since they were diagnosed with RSV last week. The doctor checked both of their ears and said they looked great and then she checked their lungs and said everything sounded perfect. That was such a relief to hear because both boys have still be coughing. She said their cough could last for a month. I am just glad that we are on the mend.

Jackson: Weighs 18lbs 10oz (35%), is 27 3/4 inches long (54%), Head Circumference is 44.8 (50%).

Jacob: Weighs 15lbs 10oz (< 3%), is 27 1/4 inches long (36%), Head Circumference is 44.0 (27%).

I was a little concerned about Jacob's weight coming in under three percentile but we talked about it and she said there could be several reasons. Both boys percentiles went down and she said that if she looked at 100 different children at 9 months old we would probably see a dip in percentiles because at 9 months a baby's metabolism speeds up. She said mobility is another reason for the decrease in the percentiles. I told her that Jacob never, NEVER stops moving. She said that could be another reason for him being so much smaller. The other thing she mentioned is that both of the boys' weight could be down because of them being so sick. I didn't even think about it but she said they use a large amount of energy when they are sick. They were having so much trouble breathing and she said that is very hard and uses a lot of energy especially when they are trying to eat. She said also having a fever causes them to use more energy. She said they could have lost 5 ounces or more and that would make a big difference on the growth chart. That made me feel a little bit better. Jacob eats just as much as Jackson and sometimes actually takes more in his bottle than Jackson. She said as long as he is eating and is growing that I shouldn't be concerned. I guess he is just a little guy.

As far as development is concerned she said they were doing very well. I told her they hadn't quite mastered sitting up just yet although they were close. She said they are very strong and are trying to pull up a lot so it isn't that they don't have the strength but they just need to work on the coordination. Sometimes I can set them down and they will just sit there and not move and other times they act like they have never sat straight up ever before. When we got home I sat with them in the floor and Jackson sat in front of me and just looked at me while I played Patti-Cake. Then as soon as I was done he was ready to fall over. I sang it several times in a row and he just sat there like he was pro but when I was done singing he was done sitting up. It is quite funny. I guess they just still need some motivation. We are working on though and I think we will get there very soon.

The doctor said we can now introduce some dairy products. She said to try yogurt, cottage cheese and cheese. She also said to start offering them small pieces of food for them to pick up by themselves.

I can't believe how fast they are growing up...now I realize they are no where near grown up but from a newborn to 9 months that is growing up to me and it is going by so incredibly fast. I told Justin the other night that I still think of them as 6 months old. Its like the time between 6 months and 9 months went by so fast that it didn't even happen. As we were walking out the doctor said she would see us when they were one! AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! If this next three months goes by as quickly as the last three I just might be a basket case at their birthday part....this is your warning!

I am just so proud of my little guys and love them so much. They are doing so great! The sleep like little angels, the are perfect eaters, they love to play, so far we have cut teeth without any problems....I am pretty sure God sent me two of His angels on loaner. I am one thankful, proud, joyful momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment