Tuesday, May 29, 2012

7 Weeks Old: Circumcision, Big Sisters, Shopping and Swimming

I cannot believe how fast time is flyin by. Last week the boys turned 7 weeks old. They are getting so big. I know they are just now the size of a regular newborn but they were so tiny when they were born that it seems they are all grown up to me. :) LOL They have been out of preemie clothes for a few weeks now and some of their newborn outfits are getting small. I am going to take inventory this week of our next size of clothing to see what we need. We are in newborn sizes now but it won't be long before we graduate to 0-3 month size.

Monday was a traumatic day for the boys. First thing Monday morning they had to be circumcised. Normally that is taken care of in the hospital right after they are born by my OB (Dr. Evitt) but since they were taken to the NICU at another hospital she was unable to do it. The NICU at UT would not do it there and referred us out to a doctor at children's hospital. I was really nervous about it and taking care of them after but it went really well. The first diaper change after was pretty terrible but after that it got better rapidly which I was extremely thankful for. They slept a bit more and didn't eat quite as much in the morning but by late evening they were getting back to normal. Also, on Monday, I started keeping two girls for the summer. They are 10 and 12 and are honestly more help to me than anything I am doing for them. I am looking forward to spending some time with them. Hopefully we can find some fun things to get into this summer. I have a feeling there will be several days at the pool.

Tuesday we didn't do a whole lot. We were planning to go to the pool but it was rainy all day. We went to the mall for a little while and then to Babies R Us for a few things. The girls played the Wii for a while and with Bailey. Bailey is enjoying some attention cause she sho nough don't get it from me. They like playing with her though so it is win win for us all.

Wednesday we were going to go to the pool but it was gloomy Wednesday morning and by the time it cleared off and got pretty it was too late in the afternoon to go and I had some errands to run. Also, Justin was coming through town from Virginia and heading to Nashville so he was going to stop by the house to see the boys and we didn't want to miss him. I put the boys on their tummies for the first time to start working on lifting their heads. They have both had a lot of movement in their heads since they were in the hospital. They both lifted their heads and moved them from side to side.

Thursday I promised the girls we would go to the pool no matter if it was pouring down rain. :) So the boys got to go to Tonya's (Aunt TT) for the first time. They did really well as they always do. I took a pack n play and a monitor and set it up in Tonya's house while me and the girls went outside to the pool. Addison was inside watching over the boys because she wasn't able to get in the water because of some stitches. I think the boys really enjoyed being there. We will probably try to do that several times this summer. There is a pool in my subdivision but the boys would have to be outside and I am afraid of them getting too hot. So it is nice that they can be right inside the house and I can be outside and can just pop right inside the check on them.

Friday I took the boys to the doctor for a weight check. They didn't see the doctor just a nurse. We will not see the doctor for a few more weeks but they told me I could bring them in for a weight check between their one month and two month check up to see if they are over 8 pounds. The doctor told me when they hit the 8 pound mark that we could switch from the extra calorie formula to the regular formula and that I could let them go further between feedings instead of waking them up to eat. I was concerned about Jacob and wanted to check his weight. Jacob and Jackson had made their way up to take four and a half ounces per feeding. Then Jacob backed down and Jackson kept going up. Jacob got very uninterested after about 2 ounces of milk most of the time. Last time we were at the doctor I told her they were taking about 4 ounces. She said to keep increasing as they would take it so that is what I did and Jackson kept increasing but Jacob was backing off. I was getting extremely concerned. So when we got to the doctor they weighed the boys...keep in mind at 4 weeks Jackson was 7 pounds and Jacob was 6 pounds 10 ounces....now three weeks later Jackson is 8 pounds 13 ounces and Jacob is 8 pounds 3 ounces. I obviously had absolutely nothing to be concerned about. The nurse said the normal amount for them at this time was 2 ounces so as long as he was taking that much he was getting plenty. She said if he wanted more and wasn't spitting up a lot he could have more but 2 ounces was plenty too. So I was worrying for nothing but being a first time mom I just didn't know. They had always been eating the same amount and then they were eating very different amounts so I was concerned. Oh well they are growing perfectly and the nurse was extremely pleased with their progress. They are catching up on the charts very nicely. Friday evening we went out to dinner and then had family snuggle time. It was a great evening.

Saturday morning we got up and went to the grocery store. Then we met Grammy out to do some shopping. We have been looking for dedication outfits for the boys. We are having them dedicated on June 24th. I also wanted to find a new outfit for church on Sunday. I got an outfit for church but couldn't find the dedication outfit for the boys. We did get them a couple play outfits. Then we came home and I made a lasagna for Sunday lunch and an Eye of the Round roast for dinner. Then we hung out with our boys and watched a movie.

Sunday I went to church and sang both services. It had been a long time since I had done that. I love singing with our group. I am so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful body of Christ. Justin stayed home with the boys because Jacob had been fussy all morning. I think he had a tummy ache. He wasn't feeling the greatest on Saturday afternoon either so we had stopped and picked up some gas drops. They seem to really help him. We got to Mom and Dad's for lunch and after I just held Jacob to calm him down and let him and brother sleep on my chest for a while. I had missed them so much while I was at church. Being there for two services was a long time away from them. The boys hung out on the "ocean" at Grammy's for the first time today. The "ocean" play mat was bought for Trey. He enjoyed it and so did Taryn and now it is Jackson and Jacob's turn. They enjoyed it and took a nice nap on it too.

Yesterday was Memorial Day and Justin was off work so we got up and went to the grocery store to get stuff to grill burgers for dinner. We got home and I made some sandwiches and then we went to meet Grammy, Amy, Travis, Trey and Taryn at the pool. It was the boys' first time outside at the pool. They did really well and didn't get too hot for a while. They were in the pack n play in the shade under a fan. It was such a beautiful day to be at the pool.

Here are some pictures from the week...


The boys on Monday comforting each other after their traumatic day

Tummy Time

My giants after their weight check. They are getting so big

Snuggling with Mommy

How precious is this...I love seeing Justin with his babies

Lazy Saturday morning :)

Hangin out on the "ocean" for the first time

Relaxin at the pool

No comments:

Post a Comment