Wednesday, February 8, 2012

28 Week Update

Well the last week has been an interesting one. I failed both the one hour and three hour glucose test so my doctor sent me to a High Risk OB and dietitian. They gave me a monitor to check my sugar four times a day (fasting first thing in the morning and one hour after breakfast, lunch and dinner) and they put a meal plan together for me. It is actually more food than I was eating. In my head I was thinking I was going to have to eliminate carbs completely but that is not the case at all. I have breakfast with 30g of carbs, morning snack with 30g, lunch with 60g, first afternoon snack with 30g, second afternoon snack with 15-30g, dinner with 45-60g, first evening snack with 30g and second evening snack with 15-30g. That is a lot of eating. They told me I was about 15 pounds under weight gain for the twin weight gain. I have only gained 22 pound and full term twins weight gain is 40-56 pounds on a diet of 3,000-3,300 calories. That is all well and good but I am not tryin to put on 30 more pounds in the next two months just to match their chart. The boys are growing perfectly and that is all that matters.

So they gave me a week to track my sugar and log it and keep a food log. I have been doing great with only a couple high readings here and there but nothing way off the chart. So I am thinking this will be easily managed with their diet plan. Kind of a pain but it is a good eating plan to be following anyway. So I go back to see them this Friday and let them evaluate what I have done this last week. We will see what they have to say. I have to say I was pretty nervous about the whole thing but it has turned out ok. It just requires some extra planning in order to fit all 75 meals a day that they want me to have. :)

So anyway.....enough about me and on to these babies. Their room is completely ready and the car seats are in the van. Just about 10 more weeks and we will be ready to bring our two little bundles of joy home. It is so exciting. I am not quite sure what to do with myself with everything done. I guess I will just rest and let them grow. :) Let's see what they are up to this week...

Week 28:
Are you dreaming about your baby? This week, your baby may be dreaming about you, too. Brain wave activity measured in a developing fetus shows different sleep cycles, including the rapid eye movement phase, the stage when dreaming occurs.

By now, your baby, who weighs in at about two and a half pounds and stands - or rather lies - at almost 16 inches (measured head to toe) has added blinking to his or her growing bag of tricks. (Outside in the real world, blinking in necessary to help keep foreign objects out of the eyes.) Other impressive new talents being added to your baby's roster in the womb include coughing, more intense sucking, and, perhaps most important, better breathing.

The good news is that babies born this week, though premature, have an excellent prognosis because their lungs have reached the point (for the most part) of maturity - so you too can breathe a little easier now. Of course, it's still best if a baby doesn't check out of that uterine hotel just yet - there's still a lot of growing and maturing to do over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment